Ofsted offer consultation on “Good Early Years Provision”

Ofsted have launched a consultation document on proposals for revisions to the inspection of early years providers.

They are seeking the widest possible range of views from those who have an interest in, or expertise relating to early years provision, in order to ensure that the changes proposed take proper account of the needs and circumstances of all interested parties.

Above all, the revisions to the inspection framework must assure the quality of services for all children in registered early years provision and promote their continuing improvement.

Access the Ofsted website here for more information

The closing date for the consultation is 24 May 2013.

4 thoughts on “Ofsted offer consultation on “Good Early Years Provision”

• April 22, 2013 at 4:43 pm

The new Inspection criteria is only going to allow for a handful of settings to be ‘good’, Outstanding is going to be almost impossible to achieve (going on the basis of the reports I have read on ‘good’ settings recently inspected), therefore the ‘raising of standards’ that the government so wants to see in Early years is never going to happen. Most of the reports I have read (which I must say are very badly written and very negative) the setting have either stayed the same or been down graded, very few have raised their grade. This is why it is important that two inspectors are sent so that you have two inspectors views rather than one. This may give a better reflection of the setting and a balanced view…hence a more appropriate grade.

There are too many changes happening in Early years, more is expected from practitioners i.e. two year check, where do the children fit in to this? Have they been forgotten by the government? Paperwork appears to be taking over, there is less time to spend with the children…maybe the government need to consider this next time they start making changes.

• April 22, 2013 at 3:22 pm

My soapbox argument surrounds the actual inspection. How can one inspector in a very short time (5hrs for our last inspection including feedback) in a four year time frame, make an accurate report of a setting. This report is then published, which the public believe is a true and actual reflection of the childcare you offer. I’m sorry but my last report had a number of factual errors let alone the sweeping statements which when you work so hard and are passionate about what you do, is completely demoralizing. We received a good outcome but i was very dissapointed with what was actual written.

• April 22, 2013 at 6:16 am

We are due an inspection soon and have down loaded recent ones from our area. It seems outstanding is harder to achieve now so some settings that were a good are now satisfactory.It wouls of been great if all changes to inspections ,curriculum and also the changes in qualifications could of been implemented all in one go. We as practitioners just think we know and understand what is required of us and then oh by the way this is changing.

I also feel that when thr ratios change which we as a setting will not be doing then we are worried quality in all areas would go down so surely there will be more nurseries that end up on the satisfactory range.

Looking after children is a very demanding job and I would feel if i got a satisfactory I would leave the industry as my settings have always been in the good-out standing range.I have been in childcare since 1986 and have always kept my self current and have a n early years degree think of the depth of expereince you maybe losing as I am sure I am not the only one who would feel this way.

• April 21, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Perhaps if the inspections where more consistent we would not be in this position. What is right for one inspector is not right for another therefore the inspection process has huge differences having a knock on effect to the nursery grading. It should all be done through a Quality Assurance scheme. One that isn’t too expensive for small private users to use. One scheme for the whole country and then the inspectors should be made to look at that.

I believe that the problems don’t lie with the under 5s but in fact in the primary schools where children to staff ratios are appalling.