On 17 June 2013 the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) will launch the Update Service, allowing workers to transfer their DBS certificate between jobs.
For an annual subscription of £13, Nursery staff can have their DBS Certificate kept up- to-date and take it with them from role to role, removing the need to conduct a new check when employing a member of staff.
As an employer you can, with their permission, use their current DBS Certificate and carry out a free, instant online check to see if any new information has come to light since its issue.
You will need to visit www.gov.uk/dbs and enter the name of your organisation, your forename and surname and then the following details of the DBS Certificate being checked:
- DBS Certificate number
- current surname of the DBS Certificate holder – as specified on their DBS Certificate
- date of birth of the DBS Certificate holder – as recorded on the DBS Certificate
- Instant online checks of DBS Certificates.
- No more DBS application forms to fill in.
- You may never need to apply for another DBS check for an employee again.
- Less bureaucracy.
- Saves you time and money.
- Enhances your safeguarding processes and may help to reduce your risks.
- Easy to incorporate into your existing suitability decision-making processes.
The DBS will no longer automatically issue a copy of the applicant’s DBS Certificate to the Registered Body who countersigned the DBS application form. Employers will need to ask the applicant for sight of their DBS Certificate.
Registered Bodies will be entitled to ask the DBS for a copy of the applicant’s DBS Certificate if all of the following conditions apply:
- The individual is subscribed to the Update Service; and
- The employer has carried out a Status check which revealed a change to the DBS Certificate; and as a result
- The individual has applied for a new DBS check as the result of a change to an existing DBS Certificate; and
- The DBS issued the new DBS Certificate to the applicant more than 28 days ago; and
- The applicant has not shown the employer their new DBS Certificate.