Mother awarded £10,000 for burns received at Leeds Nursery.

Facebooktwittergoogle_pluslinkedinmail

A mother has successfully sued Kids Academy in Leeds after her five-year-old son suffered second degree burns from spilt chicken fat.

Katie Brewster was told that her son Harrison Farrell had been injured after he spilt boiling soup on himself – but the 30-year-old was told later that a worker had tripped while carrying cooked chicken and had spilt the fat on him.

Ms Brewster said: ‘When I got the call at work, I was told that Harrison had spilled soup on his leg and that, just to be on the safe side, I might want to take him home.

‘I went straight there, and on the way I contacted the doctor to make an appointment to have him checked out.

‘When I got to the nursery I could tell Harrison hadn’t done it to himself straight away. I demanded to know what had happened.  I was really shocked: he was really badly burned, but nobody had even called for an ambulance.

‘I was just appalled.  Eventually one of the assistants told me what had happened and I was absolutely mortified.’

Ms Brewster withdrew her son from Kids Academy in Leeds, West Yorkshire, immediately but was sent a £634 bill for failing to give the required notice.

Harrison suffered second degree burns on his leg and a subsequent infection, which meant he had to stay in hospital for three days. He has been left with a large scar and was under the care of a plastic surgeon for six months after the incident, which took place in July last year.

The family has been awarded a five figure sum after the nursery’s insurers admitted liability.

Chris Baxendale, who represented the family, said: “This was a scary ordeal, both for Harrison and his mum as well.

“The injury he sustained was really quite severe, and Katie’s shock, upset and outrage was entirely understandable.

“The nursery’s own prospectus points out the danger presented by adults carrying hot drinks, yet they failed to apply the same standards to fluids from hot food.

“The fact that the hot chicken was even being carried in the nursery area was in itself an act of negligence.

A spokeswoman for Kids Academy said: “Harrison’s parents and Ofsted were immediately notified of the incident.

“We cooperated fully with an Ofsted investigation. They concluded Kids Academy met all of its legal requirements and no further action was recommended.

“A copy of their report was sent to Ms Brewster. Harrison received compensation for his injury which the court has approved.

“Everyone at the nursery wishes Harrison and his family well for the future.”

After admitting liability for the incident and giving Harrison a five-figure compensation sum, a spokesperson for the nursery said she disputed the claim and that Miss Brewster was given a false explanation.

Facebooktwittergoogle_pluslinkedinmail

2 thoughts on “Mother awarded £10,000 for burns received at Leeds Nursery.

  • July 11, 2013 at 7:17 pm
    Permalink

    We take the children’s lunch out into the eating area (although it has been allowed to cool to a non-scalding temperature beforehand) as one of the ‘EY requirements’ is that children learn to serve themselves to their food.
    Why this is I do not know as they do not serve themselves at school and rarely at home! – however, the children do enjoy having this independence and do learn not to serve themselves more than they can possibly eat.
    Too little is ok, as they can help themselves to more from the dishes on the table if they are still hungry!

    In order to facilitate the delivery of the dishes to the eating area the cook at our Nursery is required to shout out loud ‘Hot Dishes Coming Through!’ and then wait at the door until the Nursery staff have cleared the area of any children and given them the all clear to proceed.

    We also have a ‘hot drinks’ policy which means that any hot drinks must be consumed either before children arrive or after they leave or, if staff are on their break, they must have their hot drinks in a secure ‘No children allowed!’ area, or must go to a local coffee shop.

    I don’t think that double standards from Ofsted were involved here – I am sure that they, along with the local EYDP, will have taken action to ensure that the Nursery concerned tightened up their practices, and will be monitoring the Nursery to satisfly themselves that they have adequate and appropriate policies and proceedures in place to ensure that this cannot happen again.

    Reply
  • July 11, 2013 at 12:53 pm
    Permalink

    There are NO CIRCUMSTANCES where any type of hot liquid should be carried in an area where children are present.
    Sounds like more double standards from OFSTED. If a court found negligence then why not OFSTED
    I hope Harrison is now fully recovered.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *