A mother has successfully sued Kids Academy in Leeds after her five-year-old son suffered second degree burns from spilt chicken fat.
Katie Brewster was told that her son Harrison Farrell had been injured after he spilt boiling soup on himself – but the 30-year-old was told later that a worker had tripped while carrying cooked chicken and had spilt the fat on him.
Ms Brewster said: ‘When I got the call at work, I was told that Harrison had spilled soup on his leg and that, just to be on the safe side, I might want to take him home.
‘I went straight there, and on the way I contacted the doctor to make an appointment to have him checked out.
‘When I got to the nursery I could tell Harrison hadn’t done it to himself straight away. I demanded to know what had happened. I was really shocked: he was really badly burned, but nobody had even called for an ambulance.
‘I was just appalled. Eventually one of the assistants told me what had happened and I was absolutely mortified.’
Ms Brewster withdrew her son from Kids Academy in Leeds, West Yorkshire, immediately but was sent a £634 bill for failing to give the required notice.
Harrison suffered second degree burns on his leg and a subsequent infection, which meant he had to stay in hospital for three days. He has been left with a large scar and was under the care of a plastic surgeon for six months after the incident, which took place in July last year.
The family has been awarded a five figure sum after the nursery’s insurers admitted liability.
Chris Baxendale, who represented the family, said: “This was a scary ordeal, both for Harrison and his mum as well.
“The injury he sustained was really quite severe, and Katie’s shock, upset and outrage was entirely understandable.
“The nursery’s own prospectus points out the danger presented by adults carrying hot drinks, yet they failed to apply the same standards to fluids from hot food.
“The fact that the hot chicken was even being carried in the nursery area was in itself an act of negligence.
A spokeswoman for Kids Academy said: “Harrison’s parents and Ofsted were immediately notified of the incident.
“We cooperated fully with an Ofsted investigation. They concluded Kids Academy met all of its legal requirements and no further action was recommended.
“A copy of their report was sent to Ms Brewster. Harrison received compensation for his injury which the court has approved.
“Everyone at the nursery wishes Harrison and his family well for the future.”
After admitting liability for the incident and giving Harrison a five-figure compensation sum, a spokesperson for the nursery said she disputed the claim and that Miss Brewster was given a false explanation.