If you live a busy and ‘on the go’ lifestyle, it can be difficult to make sure you’re getting a healthy amount of your fruit and vegetables to count towards your 5 a day. Here are a few tips on how you can include yours into your normal meal times!
Whether you’re eating cereal, toast or you’re making something to take with you, here are a few ways you can make your most important meal of the day healthier:
- Beans on toast (lentils or beans) can count towards at least 1 of your 5 a day – include a sliced tomato for an extra portion
- Avocado on toast (1/2 an avocado is 1 portion)
- Sliced banana on your cereal
- Smoothie (made with whole fruits)
- Fresh fruit packet (80g to make 1 portion)
Regardless of if you’re working in an office or on the go all day, it can be difficult to resist a snack. Try these healthy alternatives to reduce your calorie intake and increase your fruit and veg portions!
- Swap a chocolate bar or cake for a piece of fresh fruit (apples, bananas and oranges all count as one portion).
- Make your own vegetable crisps by baking sliced vegetables in the oven rather than eating shop-bought versions.
- Carry a packet of dried fruit in your car/bag to snack on instead of boiled sweets or mints.
It can be hard to fight the urge to eat a shop-bought lunch every day, but these meal ideas can be prepared in batch. This allows you to eat healthy for the whole week!
- Salads – include vegetables such as avocados, tomatoes and carrots to boost your vegetable portions.
- For hearty salads for the winter, add in carrots, sweet potato and butternut squash.
- Wholemeal sandwiches with extra vegetables.
- Beans/tuna and sweetcorn/avocado on a jacket potato.
Remember, if you’re cooking for more than one you’ll need to include 80g per person and per vegetable to make the portion count.
- Swap potato toppings for swede, butternut squash or even sweet potatoes
- Vegetable stew, the more vegetables the better
- Vegetable soup with a side of wholemeal bread
- Omelette made with sweet potatoes and lots of veg
The key to any of these steps is remembering to include plenty of fruit and vegetables in your regular shop. Get creative and pop a variety of both into anything you prepare during the week to build up your 5 a day.