The 12th annual National Apprenticeship Week (NAW2019) – which runs from 4th to 8th March 2019 - is a wonderful opportunity to celebrate ‘all things apprenticeships’ and how they benefit not only individuals and employers, but communities and our economy as a whole.
It’s a chance to shout about all that is great regarding apprentices and their training providers!
The week brings together everyone who is passionate about apprenticeships to encourage more young people to choose this path as a first step (and often fast-track) to a great career, and for companies to promote growth and personal development.
In a bid to challenge outdated attitudes towards apprenticeships, this year’s theme of ‘blazing a trail’ and ‘fire it up’ recognises and embraces the new changes that apprenticeships can bring: for employers “blazing a trail” to new markets; apprentices to new career opportunities; and for colleges and training providers raising the skills levels for everyone. It aims to raise awareness of the benefits and huge variety of apprenticeship options available for people of all ages, cultures, abilities and backgrounds.
There are so many advantages of hiring apprentices in your childcare setting. You can watch them grow and progress as you mould them into your own style of practitioners, helping you meet and secure your future employment needs.
There are lots of ways to get involved!
- The NAW2019 events map allows you to search for events happening near you during the most exciting week in the apprenticeships’ calendar. You can also submit your event to be featured too! nawevents.co.uk
- Keep staff in your setting motivated to continue their learning – talk to them about the benefits that further training can offer them. Parenta offers Level 2 Team Leading, Level 3 and 4 Management and Level 5 Childcare Leadership as work-based apprenticeships, in addition to the Level 2 and Level 3 Childcare. Help your staff and learners know their options and realise their earning power!
- Encourage your apprentices to get involved with the Young Apprentice Ambassador Network (YAAN) to talk about the benefits of apprenticeships in their local area and give them invaluable skills for the workplace. amazingapprenticeships.com/yaan/
- Encourage your apprentices to sign up for a NUS Apprentice Extra discount card. Not only will they receive loads of discounts at hundreds of shops, they will also receive emails on how they can give feedback and help shape the future of apprenticeships. apprenticeextra.co.uk
- Ask your Parenta assessor how you can best support your learners in their early career journey.
Useful handles and hashtags for NAW2019:
Parenta is the UK’s largest vocational training provider within the early years sector, offering apprenticeships at all levels. With 20 years’ experience in the industry, we work in partnership with thousands of settings, supporting them with upskilling their existing staff, as well as recruiting new apprentices to start their career in childcare.
Ask us about our free recruitment service and for advice to help you invest in tomorrow’s generation of childcarers. Our experienced team will be able to advise you on ‘all things apprenticeships’ - from legislation changes to funding, contribution, minimum wage and off-the-job training.