World Ocean Day takes place on 8th June and to celebrate, we have made some colourful salt dough starfish which we hope you will also enjoy making with the children!
You will need:
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 cup of salt
- 1 cup of water
- Baking paper
- Baking pan
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, water, and salt and mix until combined. Knead the dough until it feels nice and soft.
2. Split the dough into small balls.
3. To create the starfish put your dough on the baking paper and start working on the arms, by gently pulling five pieces of dough away from the centre. Once you create the arms, gently press the whole dough so it looks more like a star fish.
4. You can now poke the starfish gently with a toothpick to create little holes or add little bumps with extra dough to make them look more realistic.
5. Once the starfish has been created you have a choice of leaving it for a for few days to air dry, or you can bake it in the oven at 160 degrees for around 1 hour or until the dough is hard to the touch.
6. Once the starfish cools down, you can paint it, or leave it the natural way!