Children and families Minister Will Quince has written an open letter to all parents and carers of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities to talk about his ambitions for them and their children.
In the letter, he describes his commitments to the SEND review and publishing this in the first quarter of 2022. He has published the list of the members of the steering group and the contact details for the group.
The steering group:
- informs the development of, and feedback on, the Review’s problem diagnosis, identifying opportunities and potential solutions, helping to think through choices and trade-offs associated with potential options
- shapes and provides steers on policy solutions, tests the robustness of proposals to deliver systemic improvements, and offers advice on deliverability and unintended consequences of options
- supports the development of robust implementation arrangements informed by the evidence of what has worked elsewhere, and advises on arrangements for tracking implementation and success
- advises, and supports delivery of, the Review’s communications and stakeholder and user engagement, identifying opportunities for shaping content of the green paper
- supports development of consultation products, including the green paper itself, and robust, accessible and inclusive consultation arrangements
As far as possible, the group will seek consensus on proposals that will deliver for children and young people. Mr Quince goes on to say that he knows the importance that the reforms:
- reduce local variation
- improve early intervention
- make clearer the support and services everyone should be able to expect
- have funding and accountability systems in place which support this
- make sure changes we propose are supported and understood across health and care services, as well as education providers
He ends by stressing that he will be visiting more education providers as well as meeting with SEND organisations and experts across education, health and care to listen to their views. If the SEND review goes according to the newest plan it will be issued as a full consultation in the Spring 2022.
The open letter can be read in full here.