If you are planning to take part in The Big Schools Bird Watch, this pinecone birdfeeder might be the perfect activity, which has been inspired by the RSPB’s craft.
Image source: Preschool Inspirations
You will need:
- Dried pine or fir cones
- Bird seed
- Grated cheese
- Suet or lard
- A mixing bowl
- Make your bird mix with the bird seed, raisins and peanuts and grated cheese.
- Leave the lard out to warm up to room temperature and then cut into small pieces.
- Add the lard and the bird mix into the mixing bowl and use your fingertips to mix together until the fats hold the ingredients together.
- Get all of your cones and loop the string around the top of them so they are secure.
- Use your hands to pack the bird mixture around the cones. Try to fit as much in as possible.
- Once you are finished put your cones into the fridge for around an hour to set.
- After this, you can hang up your feeders on the trees and watch the birds coming to visit for a snack!